I’m the admin for the Altered Artwear group on Facebook. I create challenges for the members every few months to, well, keep us challenged. I called for our second annual Pinterest challenge, ending today, May 31. This is what I created!
This challenge is pretty straightforward: Choose an altered garment or accessory pin from Pinterest and do your own interpretation. I discovered last summer when we had an ongoing heat wave in southern California that I don’t own enough loose, lightweight summer dresses. Also, long flowy boho skirts are plentiful in our area thrift stores. I chose this pin because I like the light gauzy fabric of these skirts and I thought I would try making a summer dress from one.
I found this long rayon skirt in a bin in the backroom of my nearest Goodwill on 50% off night. I think I paid $2.50. It was a lengthy 42″ from waistband to hem, and being only 5’3″ myself, I could have hiked it up under my arms and it would have still been a maxi skirt on me. But the good thing about long skirts is that they have lots of fabric to work with!
I liked the lacy faux crochet band and the plastic gem detailing. And the colors! So cheerful. So summery.
The label Forbidden cracked me up. What does that mean? Am I forbidden to cut up this skirt? Will I be cursed for life? Nah, probably not. Here comes the sewing scissors!
I looked through my pattern collection and chose this Simplicity pattern from the mid-’90s because I like the V neckline and the short sleeves. Also, both front and back pieces are cut on the fold. I cut off the elastic waistband, tags, and hanger loops, spreading out the skirt inside out and pinning the front and back pattern pieces on the folds. I lined up the back seam of the skirt with the back of the dress. I pinned close to the top edge, utilizing as much fabric as possible.
I joined and overlapped the underarm seam allowances on the pattern with a pin, so the sleeves would fit properly, as I wasn’t cutting side seams.
I have a finely woven lightweight cotton print in my stash that I picked up in the L.A. garment district several years ago, and I knew it would be perfect for the sleeves and neckline facing. Using my Bernina 1260 and my Juki serger, I sewed the shoulder seams and attached the sleeves and facing. It was very quick and easy. The first gathered tier of the skirt hits under the bustline ever so perfectly, like a yoke. Like I planned it!
Now I have a new light and flowy summer dress which only cost a few dollars and a few hours of my time. I’m ready for you, heat wave!