Altered Denim Challenge

Altered Denim Challenge collage text


I moderate the Altered Artwear group on Facebook, and recently we had an Altered Denim Challenge. I took a pair of size 8 child’s jean shorts and turned them into a small shoulder bag. I lined it with the purple cotton fabric from the dress I altered a little while back, and I made the straps from the cut off legs. The outer side of the flap features a batik of a scorpion, patched with other commercially batiked fabrics, which were outlined with hand embroidery. The inner side of the flap is lined with fabric I hand dyed several years ago. I added an inside pocket and magnetic snaps. The original front pockets are very handy for holding my keys, and the bag is just the right size for everyday use. It was a fun project that didn’t take that long to create.